Saturday, August 7, 2010

Pre-day 1: Saturday

After a whole day’s worth of flying, I am finally in Denmark. The flights through British Airways were pretty good, although I got delayed a bit. I ended up in a middle seat, since apparently I was supposed to check in about 4 hours earlier to request an aisle seat, but it was cool. One of the people who ended up sitting next to me was a lawyer from London, who apparently flew in to the United States for a one-day court trial. I thought that was pretty cool. The woman and I ended up talking a little about travelling, and she ended up telling me about an investment she had made in her hometown in Russia. Apparently, the “rubbish” (not her word, but I word I learned over the summer) in Russia was overflowing and in many locations the groundwater was becoming polluted. So various companies grouped together to use steam to turn certain types of wastes- plastics, glass, metals, etc. into a type of “fluff” that could then be put towards re-use. The steam would also wash off paints and etc. that were used to make the products and generate a bit of energy as well. I had not heard about this project before and thought that it would be pretty cool to hear about. After we got off the plane, I did a transfer at Terminal 5 and went onto a plane that would get me to Copenhagen. There was another minor flight delay of about 30 minutes due to rain (good thing it wasn’t as big of a edlay as the one I had when I was in Shanghai- a delay of over 5 hours inside the plane before taking off), and then there was a short flight of about one and a half hours before I arrived in the city that I would be staying at for two weeks.

After I got off the flight, I picked up my luggage, and then went toward the taxis. I made an effort to talk to the taxi driver, since my dad always does it when we travel together, and I learned that the fare would be approximately 260DKK, that he was from Turkey, that he didn’t speak much English, the location of a few shopping centers, and the location of the major train station. He dropped me off at Cabinn Scandinavia, but apparently they messed up my hotel room and I had to go to Cabinn City instead. So they taught me how to take the bus, the 2A, which cost me another 23DKK, to the train station that I saw earlier and walked to Cabinn City. The room here is pretty good, and I actually ended up in a room with three beds (since there was a bunk above my bed and a bed in storage under my bed). It was actually pretty cool. The room also had a mini-toilet/shower area, but there was a disappointingly lack of additional facilities, such as pools or fitness centers that I have seen in other hotels.

After I settled in, I decided to take a walk and ended up passing the pier, an amusement park, and a random museum. I then went to get a drink at 7-eleven and then got three cheese-burgers (cheapest thing on the menu) at Burger King for 10DKK each, since burger meals were about 60DKK and that felt too expensive for someone from the US. Overall, I think that the food in Denmark is a lot more expensive, so I’m pretty glad that the school has made some accommodations for us students. I then went to a Chinese restaurant and got a mini-meal for 30DKK and started walking back to the hotel, where I got a coke for 20DKK. Not much else to talk about. They don’t provide power adapters at the hotel and "everywhere" is closed tomorrow, since it's Sunday, so no internet for a while. I’m probably just going to continue doing some of my reading for class and then head off to bed. I am pretty excited for a group meeting with the other students in the program tomorrow. Hope it all goes well.

(note: 1USD is approximately equal to 5DKK at this time)

(picture of flight delay)
(picture of my room ^^ so compact. it was fun)
(picture of the place I was staying at)
(my dinner ^^)

No comments:

Post a Comment